Background

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I've been trying to get in as much fall baking as I can.  And that means a lot of pumpkin, which I love but my husband doesn't love.  My husband will be happy to learn that I have exhausted my list of pumpkin recipes to try this fall and will be moving onto my (very long) list of baked goods to try.  Ever since I heard about whoopie pies, I knew I needed to make them.  It's pretty much a cakey-cookie sandwich with creme or frosting in the middle.  I have another recipe for red velvet whoopie pies that I must try soon, but first, enjoy these!

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Ingredients:
Cookies:
1 pouch (1 pound, 1.5 ounce) sugar cookie mix
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 egg
Filling:
2/3 cup marshmallow creme (from 7 ounce jar)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees.  In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and flour.  Add remaining cookie ingredients; stir until stiff dough forms.
Onto ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by 36 rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart.  Lightly press tops with floured fingertips to flatten slightly.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until set.  Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.  Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
In medium bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer until light and fluffy.  For each whoopie pie, spread about 2 tablespoons of the filling on bottom of 1 cooled cookie.  Top with the second cookie, bottom side down; gently press together.  Store tightly covered in refrigerator.  Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar just before serving.

Amy's Notes:
Sometimes when I am following a recipe I get so excited to make the recipe that I miss steps.  I tend to skim over recipes too quickly because I just want to get to the baking.  It's not a good thing.  Not only does it lead to missing steps but sometimes leads to not having all the ingredients on hand.  And that leads to my husband being irritable because I sent him to the store for eggs or milk.  Like as I was typing this recipe just a minute ago, I read the step that says, "lightly press tops with floured fingertips to flatten slightly" and have no recollection reading that while I was baking them.  And because of that, my pumpkin whoopie pies are pretty thick, but otherwise delicious.

The cookies are done and ready to be frosted


whoopie pie!



Pin It!

4 comments: