Background

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Pops

The other day when I made my peanut butter cup cupcakes, I also made a 9 inch round cake to use for cake pops later in the week.  I wrapped the cake in cellophane and stuck it in the freezer.  It was very convenient to not have to make the cake or frosting this time when I was ready to make my cake pops.  Up until now, I have always used chocolate bark when making cake pops but decided to use Wilton candy melts this time (pretty much the same thing but Wilton candy melts come in tons of colors and flavors).  I decided after making the peanut butter cup cupcakes that I needed to try chocolate peanut butter cake pops which was pretty much like it sounds--chocolate cake with peanut butter candy coating. 

Cake balls ready to be stuck with a stick and dipped in peanut butter coating.
Combining the cake and frosting for the cake balls was the easy part.  Then came melting the candy coating.  I tried melting it in the microwave instead of a double boiler but burnt the candy, so instead of taking the risk of burning more chocolate in the microwave, I just used the double boiler.  I had to thin this batch of chocolate coating way more than I have in the past and it took a while to get to the right consistency (I am guessing because the peanut butter made it thicker but I don't really know).  I finally found the right consistency for the peanut butter coating and then got to dipping! 

Some had fun fall sprinkles...

...and when I ran out of fall sprinkles, I drizzled the rest in chocolate
I didn't really think ahead of time about how I was going to decorate these cake pops.  I happened to find these fall sprinkles mixed in with my baking stuff (who knows how old they were, but sprinkles don't go bad, right?!).  It was a pretty small jar of sprinkles and I ran out halfway through making my cake pops so I just melted a little chocolate (without burning it in the microwave!) and drizzled it on the rest of the cake pops.  I think they turned out pretty for not having a plan!




The only thing I wasn't pleased with was that the peanut butter coating wasn't as peanut-buttery as I wanted it to be.  It was already late when I started these and I didn't have the time to mess with the flavor.  I will definitely experiment with the flavor more in the future.

The cake pop was calling my name.  I couldn't resist.
Part of the reason I made these cake pops when I did was so that I could experiment with mailing them.  My parents and most of my close friends live across the country and I have been wanting to find a way to share my baking with them.  I've also been had people asking about if they can pay for me to make and mail some of my baked goods but I don't think I can do that until I know the best way to mail perishable, meltable treats.  So, the mailing experiments will continue.  I've already learned my lesson in shipping--use a flat rate box! 

Packing them up to send across the country!
I've been thinking a lot lately about my future baking.  And I don't know what exactly what that will be right now but I do know that I love baking, want to learn and experiment more, and want to share what I make with others.  Maybe I should open an online store.  Or just a little side business.  Or just keeping baking for fun.  If you have an idea on the matter, I would love to hear it!

Pin It!

1 comment: