Background

Monday, October 4, 2010

Bacon and Spinach Twice Baked Potatoes

The last time I had twice baked potates was years ago and my mom was probably the last person to make them for me.  I love them but, for no good reason, had never made them before.  When I am reading blogs and find good recipes, I either bookmark them or I print them if I think I am going them soon-ish.  This was one I printed knowing I had spinach that needed using.  Now, my husband is not one to be very excited about meals cooked with spinach (though he usually ends up liking them) but he saw these potatoes as I was preparing them and said they looked good.  And they were! 

Bacon and Spinach Twice Baked Potatoes
Source: Finding Joy in My Kitchen Blog

Printable Recipe Here

Ingredients:
6 large baking potatoes
salt
pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup milk
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
1 1/2 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded

Directions:
Wash potatoes and poke holes in the skin.  Lightly salt the skins while the potatoes are still moist.
Place the potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork.
Allow the potatoes to cool for 20-30 minutes or until they are cool enough to handle.  Slice each potato in half lengthwise and allow them to cool for another 20 minutes.
Then, carefully scoop out the insides of each potato and place insides in large bowl and skins on baking sheet.  Mash the potatoes in the bowl with the butter and milk, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add spinach, bacon and cheese.  Stir until well mixed. 
Carefully fill the potato shells on the cookie sheet.  Return potatoes to oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Amy's Notes:
The whole reason I made this recipe was because I had frozen spinach that needed to be used.  The frozen worked just fine.  I thawed it in the microwave, drained the water, and chopped it up before adding it to the potato mixture.  Honestly, the spinach was not a very dominant flavor in these potatoes.  They seemed more filling than other twice baked potatoes that I've had before, probably because of the spinach.  I think I might try freezing half of them next time before I bake them the second time.  I really liked these potatoes and will make them again. 


Emptied out potato shells

Ready for the second bake!

Yum yum yum

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy! YUM!!!! I think I am going to be addicted to your blog. I usually don't read them, but this?? Yay!

    ReplyDelete