Background

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Saucy Skillet Lasagna

Who doesn't love lasagna?!!  As delicious as lasagna is, it isn't the fastest dinner to make.  This recipe is a quicker take on lasagna.  It is tasty, quick and pretty easy.  The taste is pretty comparable to traditional lasagna and takes less than 30 minutes to make!

Saucy Skillet Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 Pound ground beef
1 26oz jar spaghetti sauce, with mushrooms
1 14oz can diced tomatoes, slightly drained
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 9oz package no-boil lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes; drain well.
Add half of the jarred spaghetti sauce to ground beef in the skillet and mix well.  Pour diced tomatoes evenly over the ground beef.
Combine ricotta and egg in a small bowl and mix well.  Spread evenly over tomatoes.  Top with a layer of lasagna.
Layer with remaining spaghetti sauce and remaining lasagna in the skillet.
Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook, covered, until lasagna is tender, about 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with mozzarella.  Cook, covered, for 2 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Amy's Notes:
I almost always use petite diced tomatoes in place of diced tomatoes based on my preference (I have a weird thing about big chunks of cooked tomatoes).  I used a whole container of ricotta cheese, mostly because I knew I wouldn't have anything else to use it for in the next few weeks, and it tasted good with a little more ricotta.  I had a large container of sauce on hand and didn't measure how much I used, just eyed it until it looked nice and saucy!  I added a small can of chopped mushrooms after the meat was browned and before I added the spaghetti sauce and tomatoes.  The only downfall for me was that I love the crunchy edges of oven baked lasagna and you don't get that with this stove top version.  I will definitely make this recipe again, but might have to still make an oven baked lasagna once in a while for those crunchy edges!

I forgot to take a picture before I began serving it up!  Woops!
My husband distracted me and my garlic bread got a bit brown.  Still tasty though.

Yummm


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment