Background

Monday, November 22, 2010

Old Fashioned Pan Rolls

When I was making pot roast the other day, I decided we had to have some bread to go with it.  Instead of buying bread from the store, I made some rolls to go with the pot roast.  And these were the perfect rolls to go with my mom's recipe of pot roast as the rolls are also my mom's recipe!

Old Fashioned Pan Rolls
Source: Carlista Barttels
Printable Recipe Here

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, plus more for brushing
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 packages active dry yeast
5 3/4 cup flour, divided
1 egg

Directions:
Heat butter and water to 120 degrees.  In separate bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast and 2 1/4 cups flour.  Combine with butter and water mixture.  Add egg.  Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour to make soft dough.  Turn dough onto floured surface and kneed until elastic (dough will be very sticky).  Shape into large ball and place in greased bowl.  Turn to coat all sides oil.  Cover with towel and rise in warm place until doubled.  Punch down.  Rise again.  Shape into 30 equal balls, or 15 larger balls.  Place in greased baking pan.  Rise until doubled.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  If desired, lightly brush with melted butter when done.

Amy's Notes:
Remember when I said I don't read recipes all the way through before making them?  Well, I did it again.  You would think with all the times I've skimmed a recipe before making it that I would learn, but I guess not.  I completely skipped letting the rolls rise in the pans because I didn't read it until just now.  Thankfully, my rolls still turned out great!  My mom always made these in a large cake pan but I had to try them in muffin tins!  I just shortened the baking time to about 12 minutes and they were just as I remembered them.  I think next time I will make these as regular pan rolls and find out which way I like them best.  The one issue I had with these rolls was that they dough was sticky, they were very hard to handle.  I ended up having to add quite a bit of extra flour to be able to handle the dough. 





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment