Background

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dr. Seuss Cake Pops

Our nephew turned one in November and had a Dr. Seuss themed birthday party, which included Dr Seuss cake pops that I made.  These were by far the most involved cake pops I've made.  As I was eight months pregnant when I made them, I started the process a week before the party so I could do a little each day and not wear myself out.  The first thing I did was make the cake (out of a box for ease), mix in the frosting, and shape the pops into the necessary shapes.  My next step was to make fondant, something I had never done before.  I used a basic marshmallow fondant recipe, made a massive mess, and ended up with successful fondant! 



I used a small circle cookie cutter to cut the fondant for the front of my 'Thing 1' and 'Thing 2' cake pops. 


I bought a tube of blue frosting (which was easier than making it) and squeezed it into my own piping bag.  I used a tip I had on hand to make the blue hair for 'Thing 1' and 'Thing 2'





Next I made the ham from 'Green Eggs and Ham'.  The white is a small fondant circle and the black is frosting I drew on with a very small tip and piping bag.  Boy, did my hand hurt from drawing those tiny lines on!


Last was the hat from 'Cat in the Hat'.  I thought this cake pop would be the simplest to make but it proved to be the most challenging.  The white disk on the bottom is fondant cut with a cookie cutter.  The red stripes are a fruit roll up.  Ha!  I tried many things here for the stripes but nothing worked very well and looked messy.  The fruit roll up worked great and was pretty quick to do, though it wasn't the greatest tasting thing. 


I think made three or four trips to Micheal's and Hobby Lobby for these pops.  I bought several items as back up items in case some of my ideas didn't work and ended up being able to return several of them.  These cake pops ended up being very labor intensive but where also a lot of fun to make!  I will say, the next time I make cake pops that take this much time, it will be for my own kid!!



The finished product at the birthday party!



Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Great pops!!! Thank you for posting!! I am throwing my daughter a baby shower for twin boys, thing one and two/seuss theme. I plan on trying your ides, I only hope mine come out half as good!!!

    ReplyDelete